Home minister Amit Shah on Monday urged All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen chief and Lok Sabha member Asaduddin Owaisi to accept ‘Z category’ security offered by the Centre after gun shots were fired at his car last week.
Making a statement in Rajya Sabha on the attack on Owaisi’s convoy in Thana Pilkhuwa in Hapur, Shah said the Centre reviewed threat perception after the incident and found the Hyderabad MP still faces a security threat. However, Owaisi has refused to take Z category security, which includes bullet-proof vehicle in Delhi and CRPF protection.
“As per the verbal information sent by Owaisi to us, he has refused to take security. I request Shri Owaisi through this House to take the security immediately and address our concern (about his safety),” Shah said.
Shah said the Centre has on several occasions directed central agencies to provide security cover to Owaisi but he had declined. “The central government has issued directions to provide security to Owaisi many times earlier also. Telangana Police and Delhi Police remained unsuccessful in providing security to Owaisi due to his unwillingness for that,” Shah said.
Providing details about the incident near a toll plaza on February 3 at 5:20 pm, he said two persons had opened fire but Owaisi had escaped unhurt and returned to Delhi safely. He was returning after attending a public contact programme at Kithor in Meerut district.
During examination, it was found that three bullets had hit his vehicle and there were three witnesses to the incident, Shah said.
Shah also informed the House that the AIMIM leader did not have a scheduled programme in Hapur and no prior information was sent regarding his visit to the district control room.