Assam issued shoot orders after sunset in Goalpara district along the Meghalaya boundary on Monday to stop Rabha-Garo clashes. The ethnic violence has so far claimed nine lives and rendered over 30,000 homeless. Officials said though no fresh casualty was reported, the situation remained tense and night curfew was in force in the troubled areas between 4pm and 7am. Assam CM Tarun Gogoi said the first priority of his government was to restore peace in Goalpara and its neighbouring areas. “Our Meghalaya counterpart is also treating the issue with equal seriousness,” he said. Deputy commissioner (Goalpara) P K Goswami said, “The situation hasn't worsened. We haven't received any information of fresh violence on Monday.” Despite an Army flagmarch, about 30 houses were burnt in some villages of the Kashighagra area near Mandipathar along the Assam border on Sunday. Two persons were killed at Hatigaon early on Sunday. On Monday, a Union home ministry team led by joint secretary (north-east) Sambhu Singh visited strifetorn areas in both states. They also visited areas in Mendipathar and met victims living in relief camps. “The clashes appear well planned and the involvement of some underground groups can't be ruled out,” Singh said.