Pune's CDP gets nod

A plan that is expected to steer Pune’s development for the next three decades has been approved by the elected members.
The general body of the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) has approved the draft for the revised city development plan (CDP) for 2041 as mandated by the central government to receive funds under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).
The central government will soon roll out the second phase of JNNURM and civic bodies selected as beneficiaries were told to prepare CDPs to avail of the benefits. Earlier, the PMC had prepared a CDP for 2006-12 as a prerequisite for getting financial assistance under the JNNURM after Pune was chosen as a category B city.
“The CDP is being revised in accordance with the JNNURM guidelines to consider the needs of the city in an integrated and participatory manner. The plan also aims to prioritize projects. The CDP will support the civic body to generate and provide a strategic framework for development actions and work towards achieving a longterm vision by 2041,” said Prashant Waghmare, city engineer.
The PMC has prepared the draft after conducting surveys and consulting different stakeholders related to the city’s development. Suggestions have been invited so that the CDP can be finalized.
“Public participation was included while finalising the draft. The civic body had asked for suggestions and objections from citizens for the draft. The plan will be helpful for long term planning and carrying out bigger projects more effectively,” said municipal commissioner Mahesh Pathak, while speaking at the GB.
The plan estimates an investment of Rs.88,443.9 crore for special projects, housing and slum rehabilitation. More than 90% of the investment is planned from 2013-14 to 2020-21, while the remaining 10% has been slotted for after 2021.
The estimated capital investment for special projects, which includes Metro Rail Project, High Capacity Mass Transit Route project and Water System Projects will be Rs.18,014 crore. The plan aims to achieve an environmentally sustainable and a self-sufficient status for the city.
The civic body has proposed the inclusion of 28 villages from the fringes to be added. An investment of Rs. 1,146 crore covering water supply, drainage, sewerage and roads in these villages has been proposed.
Waghmare said the civic body will also look at a shared and collective vision and deliver sustainable development accompanied by poverty reduction.
Some elected members opposed the approval of the plan over non-provision of new income sources. Elected members have demanded that consultants and external experts helping to draft the plan should be made responsible also for the monitoring of works along with the civic administration officials.
Civic officials, while replying to queries about ongoing projects, said the civic administration has spent around Rs.300 crore more due to delays in tenders and other practical issues while executing the projects.

No comments: