Government to fully exit privatised airports

The government plans to sell its stake in already privatised Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Hyderabad airports as part of the ambitious Rs.2.5-lakh-crore asset monetisation plan, sources said.

Sale of Airport Authority of India’s remaining stake in the four airports as also 13 more airports have been identified for privatisation in FY22, two people aware of deliberations at empowered committee of secretaries last month said.

The aviation ministry will obtain requisite approvals for divestment of equity stake of AAI in the respective joint ventures running Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Hyderabad airports, they said, adding the issue is likely to go to the Cabinet for approval in a few days.

For the 13 AAI airports identified for privatisation, the possibility of clubbing of profitable and non-profitable airports will be explored to make more attractive packages, sources said.

In the first round of airports’ privatisation under the Narendra Modi government, the Adani Group bagged contracts for six airports — Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Mangaluru, Thiruvananthapuram and Guwahati — last year.

The AAI, which works under the aviation ministry, owns and manages more than 100 airports. While in Mumbai International Airport, Adani Group holds 74% stake, the remaining 26% stake is with AAI. In Delhi International Airport, GMR Group holds 54%, Airports Authority of India holds 26%, while Germany’s Fraport and Eraman Malaysia hold 10% stake each. 

No comments: